In 1947, the Southern California Arizona Methodist Conference entered into negotiations with the Fain family to purchase the tract of land which was to become Mingus Mountain Camp & Retreat Center. Francis LaPoint was hired by the Conference to locate an ideal location for the camp. With the direction of LaPoint, Methodists from Arizona and California provided the funding and manpower to build the original camp buildings; a number of rustic miner’s cabins were transported to Mingus Mountain Camp from Jerome and additional cabins were built by churches in the Phoenix valley brought to camp on flatbed trucks.
In 1953, portions of the original homestead were recycled to create the building currently serving as the Craft Cabin. The Dining Hall was completed in 1956 and the Director’s Home was built in 1972. First UMC Mesa built and completed Mesa Hall in 1978 and LaPoint Hall in 1981. 5 years later, the Nurse’s Cabin was completed in 1986. The 3 Retreat Cabins were built between 2001 and 2002 with funds donated by United Methodist families in the Phoenix area.
Mingus Mountain Camp & Retreat Center continues to welcome hundreds of guests year round!