Directions to Mingus Mountain United Methodist Camp
Directions from Phoenix
- Take Interstate 17 North to the Route 69, which is at the Cordes Junction exit.
- Take Route 69 toward Prescott/Prescott Valley.
- From Prescott Valley, turn on to Glassford Hill Road (beyond groceries, fast food restaurants and just beyond the Pizza Hut).
- Go 3.5 miles to Hwy 89A.
- Turn right on to Hwy 89A.
- In approx. 4 miles turn left at the lighted intersection of 89A, Robert & Fain Rd. You will now be on 89A North.
- IF YOU DO NOT NEED TO GO THROUGH PRESCOTT VALLEY FOR GAS/FOOD ETC. THEN TAKE THE FAIN ROAD CUT OFF IN DEWEY
- From Route 69 in Dewey, the Fain intersection is a few miles beyond a Ford dealership.
- At the Fain intersection is a new Maverick service station on the left. At the Hwy 69/Fain intersection (lighted) turn right. Drive 9 miles to the lighted intersection of Hwy 89A and turn North, right.
- Travel approx. 9 miles on 89A, following the MINGUS RECREATION AREAS signs as you travel the last few miles before the summit. The summit (where you will turn, is located between mile markers 336 and 337).
- Turn right at the Mingus Summit Picnic Area. This is a large paved USFS parking/picnic area. You will see 4 mailboxes on your right ( one for the camp), immediately after turning.
- Follow the Forest Service dirt road straight up 2.5 miles to the Mingus Mtn UM Camp.
- Signage indicates CAMP MINGUS 2 miles. DO NOT follow signage to Mingus Springs Camp
- Our Camp is on the left side of the road just beyond a small fishing lake. You will be directed to the second entry road and an information kiosk will explain where to check-in.
Directions from Las Vegas
- Take 1-40 East from Kingman to Ashfork.
- At Ashfork take Hwy 89 South beyond Chino Valley to the outskirts of Prescott. Chino Valley is a good option for snack stops/gasoline.
- Pass the airport, Antelope Hills Golf Course and I oak for a lighted intersection indicating 89A to the LEFT. This is the second light after the golf course intersection. If you drive past the Potter’s House Christian fellowship you’ve passed it!
- Once on 89A drive several miles, passing Glassford Hill Rd., ViewPoint Rd etc. Viewpoint Rd. is your last option for gasoline.
- Approx. two miles after the Viewpoint intersection you’ll come to the lighted intersection of North 89A, Fain Rd. and Robert Rd.
- Turn LEFT on Hwy 89A and proceed approximately 11 miles to the summit of Mingus Mountain, following signs to Mingus Recreation Areas. Look for the USFS paved parking area on your right at the crest called “Summit Picnic Area” Also visible is a row of mailboxes to the right.
- Turn RIGHT and follow sings to Camp Mingus which indicate to proceed straight for 2 miles.
- At 1.5 miles you’ll come to more signage indicating a right turn for Cherry/Mingus Springs.
- Continue STRAIGHT, following signs to Camp Mingus. Pass a large wildlife meadow on the left, a small fishing pond on the right and you’ll find our camp on the left.
- Take the second entry road and further signage will indicate where to check -in or unload.
Directions from Flagstaff/Cottonwood
- From 1-17 South take a cut-off road to get to Cottonwood.
- The first option (and less mileage) is to take exit 293 and drive West through Cornville.
- The second option is to take Hwy 260 at Camp Verde and drive West to Cottonwood.
- Follow Hwy89A to Jerome.
- Drive 9 miles beyond Jerome on 89A and you’ll see signs for Mingus Recreation Areas.
- At the crest you’ll find the “summit picnic area/paved parking lot” and see a row of mailboxes at the turn-off on the left. Turn LEFT and follow signs to Camp Mingus – 2 miles.
- At 1.5 miles you’ll come to more signage indicating a right turn for Cherry/Mingus Springs. Continue STRAIGHT, following signs to Camp Mingus. Pass a large wildlife meadow on the left, a small fishing pond on the right and you’ll find our camp on the left.
- Take the second entry road and further signage will indicate where to check-in or unload.